Senior/Principal Scientist, Drug Discovery Biology
About the role
We are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated cell and molecular biologist to join our team. This position will play a critical role in driving Treeline’s portfolio forward by helping to identify, validate and characterize the next generation of therapeutics for oncology and non-oncology programs. We anticipate a successful candidate will have a strong background in cell-based assay development, cell line engineering, assessing phenotypic and signaling responses to genetic and chemical perturbations, and a track record of contributing to multidisciplinary drug discovery teams. You will closely collaborate with other biologists, medicinal and computational chemists, structural biologists, biochemists, biophysicists, and data scientists to test therapeutic hypotheses and enable forward progress of drug discovery programs. Additionally, you will drive advances in technology, infrastructure, and biology to accelerate the path to medicines.
You thrive in a fast-paced and matrixed discovery environment requiring scientific curiosity and rigor. With a drive to succeed, you are an innovative, detail-oriented, and a critical thinker who enjoys multidisciplinary collaborations to tackle difficult scientific challenges and move programs forward.
This role is primarily lab-based, with an emphasis on generating critical cellular and molecular data to characterize target biology and drive drug discovery projects forward.
- Develop and execute cell-based assay cascades to support drug discovery campaigns and mechanism of action studies.
- Independently design and develop tools to advance drug discovery projects by establishing engineered cell lines using a variety of techniques (CRISPR endogenous gene editing, over-expression, knock-down and knock-out).
- Execute a wide variety of cellular and molecular techniques to validate and characterize genetic or small molecule perturbations of targets and downstream pathways, such as CRISPR/RNAi tool design/generation, Western blot, qPCR, ELISA, MSD, immunoprecipitation, nanoBRET, microscopy and flow cytometry.
- Establish and run SAR assays to rapidly drive the hit-to-lead and lead optimization processes in close collaboration with other functions on the project team.
- Design and conduct well controlled high-quality experiments to test biological hypotheses.
- Evaluate and develop new approaches and technologies within the biology group.
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook in compliance with company policies.
- Help establish the biology group and contribute to building a culture that embraces continuous learning and improvement.
- BS or MS in Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline with at least 8 years of industry experience, or PhD with -2+ years experience in biotech/pharma
- A track record of leading from the bench to drive hit-to-lead, and lead optimization experiments to deliver small molecule development candidates.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional, multidisciplinary team
- Previous experience in small molecule drug discovery and applying innovative and diverse approaches to assess small molecule mechanism of action in cells is preferred.
- Experience with iPSC models is preferred.
- Strong understanding of cancer signaling pathways, with an emphasis on DNA repair pathways is preferred.
Treeline Biosciences is committed to protecting the health and safety of our team. Our company requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including a booster shoot. Proof of vaccination must be provided prior to the first day of employment. As required by applicable law, Treeline will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Notice to Search Firms/Third-Party Recruitment Agencies (Recruiters)
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Treeline Biosciences. To protect the interests of all parties involved, Treeline Biosciences will only accept resumes from a recruiter if an executed search agreement directed to the particular position or positions is in place at the start of the recruitment effort. Unsolicited resumes sent to Treeline Biosciences from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Treeline Biosciences and do not obligate Treeline Biosciences in any way to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.