Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
About Treeline Biosciences
Treeline Biosciences is a new biotechnology company, founded by an experienced team of biopharmaceutical scientists and executives, committed to developing new medicines against difficult to drug targets in cancer and other life-threatening diseases. We are pursuing a uniquely integrated approach that applies modern and emerging tools in genomics, structural biology, medicinal chemistry, and computation to reduce the time and risks of drug discovery.
You thrive in a fast-paced and matrixed discovery environment requiring scientific curiosity and rigor. With a drive to succeed, you are creative, diligent and meticulous in approaching difficult scientific challenges and collaborate across multiple disciplines to move programs forward. You have an eagerness to take on responsibilities outside of traditional medicinal chemistry roles to establish a new company.
About the role
The Principal Scientist of Medicinal Chemistry is primarily responsible for proposing, synthesizing, and characterizing small molecules as potential oncology therapeutics. The researcher will be accountable for collaborating with structural biologists, computational chemists, and other medicinal chemists to optimize the potency, pharmacokinetics, safety and in vivo efficacy of potential small molecule oncology drugs. A demonstrated track record of success in advancing clinical stage compounds enabled by structure-based design and in silico approaches is required.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams in the design and optimization of hit to lead series to clinical candidate using expertise in synthetic chemistry, structure-based design, and computation
- Design and improve synthetic routes to support SAR studies
- Partner with computational scientists to leverage and enhance structure-based design and in silico modeling capabilities
- Partner with structural biologists and computational scientists to develop strategy for collection of key structural data
- Characterize chemical compounds
- Synthesize high quality compounds for biological testing in a timely manner that advances the medicinal chemistry series
- Critically evaluate project data while rigorously driving data-driven Go/No-go decisions, including the identification of resource constraints and bottlenecks
- Promote an overall group culture of agility, pro-action, collaboration, and innovation
- Mentor and develop internal talent
- Collaborate with external partners in universities, institutes, and/or CROs
- Link scientific strategy with specific objectives in novel areas that will lead to fundamental insights or new discoveries
- Survey the literature, seminars, and scientific meetings for novel methodology to drive our projects forward
- PhD in chemistry with 6-10 years’ experience or BA/MS with compelling medicinal chemistry experience
- Track record of success of advancing compounds to the clinic utilizing structure based design as a key tool
- Extensive experience using structure-based design to develop testable hypotheses, generate actionable insights, and drive SAR
- Strong skills and a proven track record in synthetic organic chemistry, compound purification, and structural characterization
- Exemplary literature search skills, the ability to design and improve synthetic routes to support SAR studies and deliver compound in large scale in a timely manner
- Highly motivated, creative, and able to maintain excellent documentation of their work with knowledge of cutting-edge medicinal chemistry and synthetic techniques
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and communicate with colleagues and management within a multidisciplinary team
- Proficiency with chemistry analytics and informatics tools such as Chemdraw, Scifinder/Reaxys, Spotfire, LiveDesign, etc.
Notice to Search Firms/Third-Party Recruitment Agencies (Recruiters)
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Treeline Biosciences. To protect the interests of all parties involved, Treeline Biosciences will only accept resumes from a recruiter if an executed search agreement directed to the particular position or positions is in place at the start of the recruitment effort. Unsolicited resumes sent to Treeline Biosciences from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Treeline Biosciences and do not obligate Treeline Biosciences in any way to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.