Research Associate , Drug Discovery Biology
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated biologist to join our team. With a strong interest in cell-based assay development, cell line engineering, and drug discovery. This position will play a role in driving Treeline’s portfolio forward. You will also play a key role in the validation and selection of the next generation of oncology targets using cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, functional genomics, and various state-of-the-art scientific approaches. You will closely collaborate with and learn from Treeline’s biologists, medicinal and computational chemists, structural biologists, biochemists, biophysicists, and data scientists to test therapeutic hypotheses and enable forward progress of drug discovery programs. Additionally, you will drive advances in technology, infrastructure, and biology to accelerate the path to medicines.
You thrive in a fast-paced and matrixed discovery environment requiring scientific curiosity and rigor. With a drive to succeed, you are innovative, detail-oriented, and a critical thinker who enjoys multidisciplinary collaborations to tackle difficult scientific challenges and move programs forward.
- Build and execute cell-based assay cascades to support drug discovery campaigns and mechanism of action studies.
- Develop tool assets to advance drug discovery projects by establishing engineered cell lines using a variety of techniques (CRISPR endogenous gene editing, over-expression, knock-down and knock-out).
- Execute a wide variety of cellular and molecular techniques to validate and characterize genetic or small molecule perturbations of targets and downstream pathways, such as CRISPR/RNAi tool design/generation, Western blot, qPCR, ELISA, MSD, immunoprecipitation, luminescence assays, phenotypic assays and flow cytometry.
- Run SAR assays to rapidly drive the hit-to-lead and lead optimization processes in close collaboration with the chemistry, biochemistry/biophysics, structural biology, and medicine design teams.
- Design and conduct well controlled high-quality scientific experiments to test biological hypotheses.
- Contribute to evaluation and development of new approaches and technologies within the biology group.
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook in compliance with company policies.
- Help establish the biology group and contribute to building a culture that embraces continuous learning and improvement.
- BS in Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline with at least 2 years of academic lab experience.
- Previous experience in small molecule drug discovery and SAR in a biotech/pharma setting is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with oncology animal models and in vivo pharmacology is a plus but not required.
- General knowledge of cancer signaling pathways, protein homeostasis, and regulation of gene expression.
- Familiarity with automation and HTS is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional, multidisciplinary teams.
Notice to Search Firms/Third-Party Recruitment Agencies (Recruiters)
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Treeline Biosciences. To protect the interests of all parties involved, Treeline Biosciences will only accept resumes from a recruiter if an executed search agreement directed to the particular position or positions is in place at the start of the recruitment effort. Unsolicited resumes sent to Treeline Biosciences from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Treeline Biosciences and do not obligate Treeline Biosciences in any way to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.